When it comes to choosing and caring for plants, the experience can sometimes be overwhelming. There is a huge range of perennials, trees and shrubs to choose from and they don’t all require the exact same care.
Visit Jones Nursery and our tree farm to ask one of our knowledgeable experts for gardening and landscaping advice. We can point you to the best plant for your needs and help you appreciate the type of care it needs. When it comes to plant care advice, Jones Nursery is your plant professional resource. Our services include:
- Gardening help: When you’re looking for gardening tips in Williamstown, NJ, Jones Nursery can help. We understand that gardening is more complicated than picking out a few plants you like. Cultivating a healthy and lasting garden requires a little patience and a lot of knowledge. Fortunately, we’re here to help you. From choosing flowers and bushes that complement one another to learning about their care and maintenance, we will make sure you have what you need to grow a beautiful garden. Let us know what you have in mind and we can assist you in achieving that look.
- Landscaping assistance: Anyone who has spent some time in the yard can tell you that landscaping is a lot of work. While it requires you to get a little dirty and sweaty, it’s well worth it. When your yard is manicured and looking its best, you’ll love any opportunity you can to soak it in outside. Let us get you on the path by offering landscaping tips in Williamstown, NJ, including what plants grow the best in certain conditions, the blooming and growth you can expect from your plants and the best way to care for them. At Jones Nursery, we combine beautiful plants with knowledgeable customer services, offering you a winning combination.
- Plant tips: At Jones Nursery, we know plants. Let us pass this knowledge on to you. Whether you’re curious about growing summer flowers or you want to transplant native grasses, we are able to provide you with in-depth knowledge about a diversity of plant life. We’re proud to serve as your number one green thumb in the Garden State.
How To Plant!
You must find out what type of soil you have. You can find out by digging a hole at least a foot deep. Fill it up with water. If it takes 10 minutes or less to drain, then you do not have a water problem. If it does take longer, you then you do have a water problem.
- Clay Soil – Dig the hole double the depth and width. Put sand and stone in the bottom of the hole to help with drainage. Mix some sand in with your soil and put it back in the hole WELL MIXED.
- Sandy Soil – Mix some peat moss or topsoil in with the soil so that it will help hold the moisture.
- Regular Soil – Make sure the hole is the same size as the ball and place it in the ground.
NEVER REMOVE THE BURLAP OR BASKET!
Bring the soil to the top of the root ball. Do not take the burlap or the basket off of the tree. You may remove the string around the neck after it is securely in the ground. If it is in a high wind situation, wait about 1 year then remove the string around the neck. Do not fertilize when you first plant. Do not put fertilizer in the hole.
Watering is critical to a plants survival. For the first year of your plants life, you must water your plant every other day for 15-20 minutes a day. You must water from top to bottom (yes, this includes the leaves). With clay soil, water every 3-4 days from top to bottom.
Note: A SPRINKLER SYSTEM WILL NOT DO THE JOB!
You can fertilize in the spring and the fall of the year. We recommend using 10-10-10, it is an all around multi-purpose fertilizer that you can purchase with us. This is what we use on all of our plants. The usage amount depends on the plant.
For assistance with gardening, landscaping and much more, contact us at 856-629-7160.